Interested in art, craft, and heritage? Learn how a small arts centre works and meet local artists…
Florence Arts Centre is on the lookout for friendly volunteers to welcome visitors and help run the centre’s refreshment and shop facilities.
Key tasks include:
- Welcoming visitors and explaining what’s available today and how to keep abreast of what’s coming up (i.e., join mailing list)
- Offer to make hot drinks or show visitors how they can make their own and explain PAYF (pay as you feel) charges
- Take payments on the till for drinks, snacks and shop purchases
- Keep the shop and kitchen area tidy
- Join a small friendly team of volunteers and staff
- Find out more about Florence (and other local) arts and crafts and heritage opportunities
- Opportunities to share any craft skills or local mining knowledge you may have with visitors
Skills and qualities
This role would suit a good communicator open to working with a diverse range of people. Experience with till work and cash handling an advantage, but not necessary as full training will be provided. Volunteers will be supervised by the coordinator on duty, who will be responsible for you during your shift.
Dates and availability
This is a regular volunteering opportunity taking place when the centre is open to the public:
Weekday shifts – 10.30-1.30pm, 1.30-4.30pm
Weekend shifts – 12.00-3.00pm
We can work flexibly with you to determine what days/hours would be of interest to you.
About the organisation
Florence Arts Centre is a small participatory arts centre at Florence Mine on the edge of Egremont. With volunteers and a small group of staff, they host and run workshops and events in their pottery, studio and performance space and are a ‘warm spot’ for local people to enjoy refreshments, our local makers shop and gallery. They even make their own artist materials from the iron ore on site!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 07442 972 270 for more information about this role.
NB. The venue is wheelchair accessible and is all on one level. We do not yet have any accessible height counters in the café so service by someone using a wheelchair may be difficult. There is an accessible toilet onsite. Florence Arts Centre is a short walk from Egremont town centre and bus stops on the A595. Please contact us with any questions or for further support.