Are you interested in learning about museum collections and sharing knowledge?
Lakeland Arts is looking for volunteers to engage with visitors to their sites!
About the role
Visitor Experience Volunteers help welcome visitors to the Lakeland Arts Venues, which include Blackwell, Windermere Jetty Museum and Abbot Hall. Volunteers may choose to volunteer at one venue, or up to all three. Volunteers help visitors understand the history of the buildings and key collection pieces, whilst enhancing the overall visitor experience. Key tasks may include:
- Supporting the security of the Lakeland Arts venues and collection, with a roaming presence on site.
- Interacting in a positive way with visitors, explaining the importance of audience participation and feedback, signposting them to our online audience survey.
- Delivering introductory talks and guided tours, for visitors and groups. This is optional and a script would be provided. Tours currently only run from Blackwell.
- Conducting exit interviews with visitors, facilitating the completion of Audience Finder Surveys (either via paper form or iPad), and collecting visitor feedback.
- Engage with visitors using the Coffee Bar (Abbot Hall only).
Full training for this role will be provided by the Visitor Experience Team. This training will include health and safety, fire safety, and security protocols. Volunteers will have the opportunity to shadow other volunteers and staff until they are confident in the role. You will be well supported in this role by the Visitor Experience Team and Helping Hands.
Please note that Abbot Hall reopens on the 20th May. We will be providing training sessions and support for people interested in volunteering for Abbot Hall before it reopens.
- Meeting new people
- Gaining hands on-experience, as well as insight into the workings of a heritage organisation
- A free Northern Museums Volunteer Pass – this gives free entry to over 150 museums and galleries throughout the north of England
As an active volunteer, you will receive a ‘Lakeland Arts Volunteer Card’, which entitles you to the following:
- Free and unlimited access to Lakeland Arts venues
- Six guest day passes a year granting free access to our venues
- Volunteer retail and café discounts
About the organisation
Lakeland Arts is an independent charity which runs an exceptional portfolio of attractions in an area of outstanding natural beauty and cultural heritage. Venues include Windermere Jetty Museum, Blackwell – the Arts and Crafts House, Abbot Hall Art Gallery and Lakeland Museum.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 07442 972 270 for more information about how we can personally support you in this role.
Nb. For information about accessibility, please visit:
Windermere Jetty Museum: https://lakelandarts.org.uk/windermere-jetty-museum/facilities-access/
For further accessibility information, including accessibility in Abbot Hall, please contact us using the details under ‘Interested?’