Are you interested in William Wordsworth and literary history? Would you enjoy learning more about a historic house based in the heart of Cockermouth?
Wordsworth House and Garden is looking for volunteers to add sparkle to a visitor’s experience, by giving everyone a warm welcome and bringing stories to life!
Key tasks may include:
- Creating a warm welcome for everyone who visits
- Responding to the different needs of visitors, including people with additional access needs
- Learning more about Wordsworth House and Garden so you can share all that’s special about it
- Sharing inspirational stories, curious facts, and practical information with visitors
- Supporting with health and safety and evacuation procedures if required
This role will suit someone who is eager to learn about William Wordsworth and his childhood home. It will also appeal to someone who enjoys sharing knowledge and engaging with visitors.
- Volunteers will be a part of a friendly and welcoming staff team
- Volunteers will be provided with the necessary induction, training, equipment and reasonable adjustments to do this role well and safely
- Volunteers are offered expenses to cover agreed travel costs between their home and the place of volunteering
- Volunteers can have remote access to support, news and rotas via our volunteer website
About Wordsworth House and Garden
Wordsworth House and Garden consists of the historic house, riverside garden and bookshop. Wordsworth House was William Wordsworth’s childhood home, and it is presented as it would have been when he lived there with his family. The garden is packed with 18th century vegetables, fruit, herbs and flowers. The River Derwent runs behind William’s beloved terrace walk.
Dates and availability
Volunteers can cover either a morning or afternoon shift of 3-4 hours, the frequency of which can be arranged individually. Please note that Wordsworth House and Garden is open Saturday – Wednesday from April to October. This volunteer role begins on April 1st.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 07442 972270 for more information about how we can personally support you in this role.