Do you enjoy history, meeting new people, and spending time in a beautiful place?
About the Role
House Experience Volunteers add the sparkle to visitor’s time at Townend. Your role would be to:
- Give everyone a warm welcome.
- Share inspirational stories, curious facts, and practical information.
- Help people to have a good day, such as by answering their questions and pointing them in the direction of any exhibits or amenities.
This role will suit you if you are:
- Full of enthusiasm and enjoy engaging and inspiring visitors of all ages
- Someone who likes being around people – you’ll meet a lot each day!
- Interested in Townend – you don’t need to know all the history, but as a House Experience Volunteer you’ll enjoy picking up lots of facts and figures throughout your time there.
- Volunteers will be a part of a friendly and welcoming staff team
- Volunteers will be provided with the necessary induction, training, equipment and reasonable adjustments to do this role well and safely
- Volunteers are offered expenses to cover agreed travel costs between their home and the place of volunteering
- Volunteers can have remote access to support, news and rotas via our volunteer website
Dates & Availability
This is a flexible role, which means you can volunteer at times that suit you. Shifts take place between 10am-2pm on Tuesdays-Fridays between March and October. Current volunteers tend to do a shift once a fortnight or once a month.
About the Organisation
Townend is a traditional Lake District stone and slate farmhouse located in what Beatrix Potter once described as her favourite valley.
Once inside, you are welcomed into the farmhouse kitchen with a real fire – burning most afternoons – and a quirky collection of domestic tools. Throughout the house, intricately carved furniture provides a window into the personality of George Browne. The Browne’s of Townend were just an ordinary family, but their home and belongings bring to life over 400 years of extraordinary stories. The library contains the family’s well-used collection of books, including 45 that are the only remaining copies in the world. Outside, the colourful cottage-style garden is a lovely place to while away some time among the flowers.
Contact email@example.com or 07442 972270 for more information about how we can personally support you in this role.
Nb. Please see Townend’s Access Statement for information about the access of the venue: Townend | Lake District | National Trust