Help Carlisle Cathedral provide a world-class welcome to all.
Gift Shop Volunteers play a vital role in the visitor experience at Carlisle Cathedral and are often the first point of contact for our visitors.
Meeting-and-greeting visitors, answering queries, providing information, and encouraging donations are key activities in this role.
Gift Shop Volunteers are located in the Cathedral Gift Shop, welcoming visitors, pointing out where they can find further information about the Cathedral and encouraging visitors to buy a Guidebook or a special memento of their visit from our retail selection.
Skills and qualities
- Assisting visitors with enquiries and providing information
- Selling gifts and merchandise, using the EPOS system
- Directing clients to the Fratry and café for events; acting as a reception point for such events
- Maintaining good standards of display for printed leaflets and shop stock
- Maintaining communication with the Welcome to manage capacity and flow of visitors
- Opening/Closing the EPOS till system
- Discount in café/shop
- Opportunity to attend exhibitions/openings/concerts
- A written reference if needed
- Volunteer social gatherings/training events
- Being part of the Cathedral community – making friends and volunteering in an inspiring setting
Dates and availability
Flexible, 3 hours or 2.5 hours per shift (either 10am-1pm or 1pm-3.30pm Mon-Sat)
About Carlisle Cathedral
Discover, experience and enjoy: over 900 years of extraordinary history; our famous starlight ceiling; our treasury exhibition; active family trails; an oasis of peace and prayer in the heart of the city with beautiful monastic gardens, award-winning café and unique gift shop. There are fascinating stories of faith, hope and love to discover here.
Contact email@example.com or 07442 972 270 for more information about how we can personally support you in this role.
NB. Wheelchair access is available to the Cathedral itself, including a wheelchair lift to the Treasury Exhibition. There is no public parking available at Carlisle Cathedral. There are many public car parks nearby and disabled parking is available on Castle Street, adjacent to the main entrance to the Cathedral grounds. Our visual story is free to download and aims to help you prepare for a visit to the Cathedral. Download the Visual story.